Sunday, August 9, 2015

Sunday Salon: Exhaustion Has Set In, The Rat Race Has Begun

The good news is that I have made it through one week of summer school. I have eleven students (the number changed from day to day this first week, but that seems to be the final count) who speak Spanish, Marshallese and French (from the People's Republic of Congo).  We are getting into a groove and having some themes and projects going.  On Friday we took a field trip with all the ELL summer school students to the arboretum.  It was a fantastic place to take kids.



And instead of relaxing this weekend, the girls and I headed to Des Moines to see my sister and her family and drop off Middle Sister at the Camp Heart Connection Sibling Camp for kids whose siblings have had cancer.  This is her fourth year attending so she was excited and ready for us to leave as soon as we got there.  




I felt slightly bad that she was wanting us to be on our way, until I realized that I had lesson plans to work on and assignments for a class I am taking to start and finish yet today since they are all due by the end of today. Nothing like procrastinating.

While we were in Des Moines I visited a student who moved a year ago and took him to the zoo with us.  We haven't been to The Blank Park Zoo in a few years now, and there were lots of changes and improvements.















It was a good time and the sun finally came out for us.  Earlier we were at the farmer's market when it was cloudy and had been raining.



This morning we attended church with my sister, brother-in-law and nephew.  The sermon was excellent and as we drove to camp, my girls actually discussed it with me.  I was amazed at how much they got out of it.  The pastor also left me with many things to think about.

And now, it's Sunday evening and I'm writing lesson plans.   Tomorrow we'll start Week #2 of summer school and the rat race will begin again.  I had a hard time getting to exercise class this past week in my attempts to get Big Sister to XC camp before I had to be at work.  This week should be better.  Thank goodness.  I have been having a hard time eating anything remotely healthy and I need to get myself back under control.

Right now I'm off to collapse on the couch and do a little leisure reading for as long as my eyes can stay open.

I'm going to make sure I'm rested and ready for another busy week!


No comments: