Friday, March 20, 2015

TLC Book Tour: A Dangerous Place



A few years ago I read the first book in the Maisie Dobbs series by Jacqueline Winspear.  I loved it, and had every intention of reading the rest of the series, but of course, books keep getting published and my good intentions are just that.

So, when TLC offered the newest Maisie Dobbs novel up for review (A Most Dangerous Place, #11 in the series) I quickly jumped at the chance.  




I am mostly a person who reads a series in order, so jumping from book #1 all the way to #11 in the series isn't something I normally do. Yet, after finishing up A Most Dangerous Place, I am once again wanting to read this entire series, and managed to enjoy it despite being a little bit out of the loop.  And I can testify to the fact that A Dangerous Place can truly be enjoyed as a stand alone novel.

In A Most Dangerous Place Maisie is recovering from tragedy, and despite being summoned home by her stepmother who pleads with Maisie to think about her aging father, Maisie isn't quite ready to return.  

She stops off in Gibraltar where she finds the body of a man who was murdered, and despite her plans to return home, Maisie can't leave a mystery alone. She is pulled in to an area that is teeming with refugees as Spain struggles with a civil war in its country.

I love historical fiction, and adding a mystery to a historical fiction book is a win-win for me.  

However, one of my favorite parts of this book wasn't the mystery as much as it was learning more about Maisie through letters from her step-mother, Brenda, and best friend Priscilla.  These letters gave a bigger picture of Maisie and a feeling of who she is, something that keeps me coming back to a mystery series for each installment.

Anyone looking for a mystery series should definitely check out Maisie Dobbs.  At this point, there are eleven books to enjoy, and I'm excited to see how Winspear continues with this series.

Thanks to TLC Book Tours for a copy of this book. The opinions expressed are my own.


1 comment:

Heather J @ TLC Book Tours said...

I'm glad you're enjoying more of Maisie! I need to get back to this series myself - I enjoyed the first few books but haven't read more than that.

Thanks for being a part of the tour.