Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Listening for Lucca

My girls book club this year read Love, Aubrey by Suzanne LaFleur and loved it. I continue to hear from these girls how they want to read another book just like Love, Aubrey.  

Although I can't find an identical book (because that would be impossible and would simply be another copy of Love, Aubrey), I can now hand off Listening for Lucca, LaFleur's latest novel.

I started reading on the way to Middle Sister's state volleyball tournament, and was happy to keep reading on our three hour car ride.  Although there were a few interruptions, I finished just a few minutes before we arrived, and recommended Listening for Lucca to Big Sister as we pulled into the parking lot of our hotel.

Siena, and her family move from Brooklyn to Maine, looking for a slower and less stressful way of life.  Siena's younger brother,,Lucca is just three, but already his parents and sister know that his lack of language skills sets him apart from other children his age. They are hoping that a change in environment will help Lucca talk.

Siena is also a little bit different from her peers.  She has struggled with friendships in the past, and knows people think she is weird. Her dreams are real events in history, and when she tries to explain this to her friends, they can't relate.

Siena is hopeful she will be able to make friends in this new home, yet almost instantly she realizes that there are secrets in her new house, and becomes drawn in to the lives of the children that resided in her home during World War II.

It's no secret that I don't love the fantasy/science fiction genre, but I am more able to enjoy magical realism, which is where I would classify this book.  LaFleur's story is a wonderful look at a girl trying to fit in.  She also includes the problem of selective mutism, which is something I hadn't had any experience with a decade ago, but which I have now seen many times.  

I loved Love, Aubrey, but I also loved Listening for Lucca and can't wait to pass this book on to my readers at school.  This is a book that made me sigh as I turned the last page, and will keep with me for a long time.

No comments: