Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Best of 2013

I love looking back over my reading every year. My process for selecting the best books each year is unscientific - I look over the log of books I have read, and select those that I am still thinking about.  As of now, I have read roughly 200 books, somewhat less than other years, but still a good number for a mom with three kids who works outside the home.

My top 6 YA books:

See You at Harry's by Jo Knowles

Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell

The Lions of Little Rock by Kristin Levine

Counting by 7s by Deborah Sloan Goldberg

Love, Aubrey by Suzanne LeFleur

How To Love by Katie Cotugno

My Top 5 Non-Fiction Selections:

The American Way of Eating by Tracie McMillan

Bootstrapper by Mardi Jo Link

Five Days at Memorial by Sheri Fink

Mother Daughter Me: A Memoir by Katie Hafner

Men We Reaped by Jesmyn Ward

My Top 10 Fiction Books of 2013:

The Smart One by Jennifer Close

The Midwife of Hope River by Patricia Harman

A Hundred Summers by Beatriz Williams

Someday, Someday, Maybe by Lauren Graham


Sisterland by Curtis Sittenfeld

Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan


The Lowlands by Jhumpa Lahiri

Silver Star by Jeannette Walls

Burial Rites by Hannah Kent


I'll Be Seeing You by Suzanne Hayes and Loretta Nyhan


Even as I've looked back a few more times in my notebook over the titles I've read in 2013, I find myself thinking about several more that I could/should add to this list.  Instead of writing a blurb about each one, I have linked the titles to my original reviews from my blog.

1 comment:

Ti said...

What a great list. You've read so many books this year! Even with everything you do. That is so impressive! I only read 50 but I was so picky about books this year. Many I started and then ditched. Plus, the stresses of October and the malaise that hit did not help things.

But I feel so good about 2014. I've been reading like a fool while off and it's put me in a really good mood. I started The Rosie Project yesterday and will probably finish it today because it's just so good.