Thursday, April 18, 2013

No One Could Have Guessed the Weather

Women's fiction is one of my favorite genres to read. I love reading about women who are juggling work and motherhood and marriage.  No One Could Have Guessed the Weather by Anne-Marie Casey was a book I thought I would love because it seemd to encompass all those things.

Lucy and her husband have had to downsize after the economy tanks. They've traded in their house for an apartment, and the life Lucy has created for herself in New York City after leaving Britain doesn't seam nearly as impressive any more.  She does still have her group of friends, Julia, Christy and Robyn.  Julia is a successful screen writer whose marriage is on the skids. Christy is a trophy wife to a much older man and seems to have everything she's ever wanted. Robyn is busy with child rearing, as well  but finds some satisfaction in sleeping with different men.

I liked all these women well enough. And I liked hearing their stories.  But, it too me a while to be invested in this book. And, it was hard for me to feel as though these women were truly close friends.  No One Could Have Guessed the Weather didn't quite live up to my expectations; with a little more character development it could be a great women's fiction novel.

No comments: