Friday, March 29, 2013

Easter

Some years my girls seem a bit oblivious to Easter and the Easter Bunny, the holiday sneaking up on us a bit.  This year it seems that they are a bit more tuned in to the upcoming holiday - maybe in part due to the fact that Easter should signify spring, since our weather sure doesn't.

Driving home from church on Sunday Little Sister was talking about the EB visiting in just a week.  I was thankful that she did talk about the fact that Easter really isn't about the Easter Bunny, but is about Jesus dying on the cross.  Sadly, it seems the reason for the holiday is forgotten by most. 

I'm not saying I don't appreciate a good egg hunt or think it's fun to fill my girls' baskets, but the holiday is pretty silly - notice the picture below of Little Sister posing with a human size bunny at the egg hunt she attended.




I struggle finding a good Easter book to read to kids at school, where really, Easter is all about bunnies and colored eggs since a religious story wouldn't be appropriate there.  


This year Harper Collins sent me Marley and the Great Easter Egg Hunt by John Grogan -a perfect read aloud for my students. Marley is up to his usual antics, this time trying to get in on an egg hunt.  The finder of the biggest Easter egg will be egg hunt winner, something Marley wants. However, it seems that whenever he gets close to picking up an egg, a boy or girl quickly snatches it up.  Marley takes matters in his own hands, looking at the market, a bakery, and a party supply store for this special egg.  It's no surprise that Marley looks like an Easter egg himself by the end of the hunt.  I predict that my students will love hearing this story, and this new addition to my Marley collection of picture books will be checked out as often as all the others.

No comments: