Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Newbery and Caldecott Thoughts


For the second year in a row I have had a late start at school on the day the ALA award winners are announced. This is especially helpful since I am then able to watch the live webcast.
Students were somewhat quizzical as they entered the library to see the Promethean board on and me intently sitting and listening to the award winners as they were announced. I will admit that with the number of student interruptions I will have to really spend some time looking at the awards later tonight.
I did luck out and actually get to hear the Caldecott and Newbery announcements.  I was so excited to see the Newbery winner - it is one I have read and enjoyed.  However, the downside is there is one less book I will need to add to my "to read" list.  I didn't make any of my own predictions for this year's winners, but I am happy to report that in addition to reading the Newbery winner, I am currently reading Three Times Lucky, a Newbery Honor book, and have heard of the other two.
As for the Caldecott...I was surprised by this year's winner a bit. I had read Jon Klassen's I Want My Hat Back and wasn't in love with it and therefore ignored this second book. Obviously I have missed something and will promptly be ordering it for my school library. I was pleased to see Green by Laura Vacarro and Extra Yarn by Mac Barnett make the list of honor books - both are books I have loved and shared.
As always, so many good books to choose from!

No comments: