Thursday, June 14, 2012

When We Were The Kennedys

Monica Wood's memoir When We Were the Kennedys is my latest Amazon Vine read.  I had such high hopes for this since I love books with a Kennedy family theme. However, there was only a loose connection to the Kennedys in this memoir and I spent more than half of the book wondering when JFK's assassination would occur.
Wood's family lives in Mexico, Maine, a town where life centers around the paper mill in the 1960s.  Her father dies unexpectedly on his way to work one day and nine year old Monica shares with us how this impacted her family and the ways in which she grieved.  Wood's writing is impeccable, capturing her experiences realistically and honestly. Wood's family is Catholic and both her family and the Kennedy's have lost their father, although if I wouldn't have been waiting for the Kennedy assassination until nearly the end of this memoir, I would have enjoyed it more.
So, I have mixed feelings about this one. I certainly can't fault the writing of this memoir, yet feel almost as though I was tricked into thinking this book had more than just this loose Kennedy connection.  I would have enjoyed it more had I not been waiting for that.

1 comment:

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

For some reason when I saw this book, I thought is was sort of a parody. In any event, I don't think this would be for me, but glad u clarified what it was about.