Friday, June 1, 2012

Blast From the Past

I can't believe it's been a decade since this book was out.  I love Jeanne Ray's work and am excited that just this past month she has a new novel out. Her books are ones I can consistently recommend to people of all ages and not worry about the language or content offending anyone.
Kotlowitz's book showing how two young boys grew up in the projects is one I should re-read. Since I first read this book my job situation has changed and I now educate children whose childhoods are not that different than the boys in this book.
I probably shouldn't admit this, but I recall very little about this Picoult book. 
Love, love, love Alice.  I'm still a bit behind in this series, but these are books I can't wait for my own girls to read.
While I can't recall the plot of this one anymore, even though I could make some guesses based on the cover picture, I do remember enjoying it and thinking that this was a good book for boy readers - sometimes hard to find.
How about you? What were you reading ten years ago? Last year?

1 comment:

marnesandnoble said...

There Are No Children Here is one of my favorite works of non fiction (even though it is incredibly heartbreaking). I've gone on to read some of Kotlowitz's other work as well as other accounts of urban Chicago and it all started because of There Are No Children Here. It is one of the few books I brought to my new apartment as a reminder of why education policy is so important. I think reading it ten years later will probably give you new insight....