Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Blast From the Past

Ten Years Ago This Month:












I chuckled over Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe. Ten years ago my husband, our neighbor Esther and her daughter Salome formed a neighborhood book club. Things Fall Apart was Esther's pick, and we read it reluctantly. Looking back I feel bad about how little I wanted to read this title and the lack of effort put forth. I wonder if I would appreciate it more now.

Bias is one of those titles that still looks interesting to me, but I remember none of it. I usually can remember a snippet or two from most books, but this one eludes me.

Nickel and Dimed....this might have been the second time reading it, I'm not sure. I think there is lots to think about and discuss in this title. Occasionally I still recommend this book to people.

And the Babysitter Club books...my first year of teaching (1998-1999) I read almost the entire series. I was so busy with new teacher stuff and keeping my head above water, these were the books I could handle. Apparently I must have missed a few books along the way or was perhaps still acquiring title to finish my collection. And, despite my distaste for fantasy, I did read Shadow of the Hegemon of my own free will - and I liked it!

What about you? What were you reading ten years ago? Last year? Do you keep track of the books you read?












4 comments:

Kay said...

Apparently I was on an Anita Blake - vampire hunter - binge. These books are by Laurel K. Hamilton and I read the first 6 of them in Feb. 2002. And that's all I read. LOL

Josette said...

Wow, how do you keep track of your books, Tina, from 10 years ago? :)

I was still a teen back then. I only remember reading those teen books like Sweet Valley and also novels. I had a record of what I read but unfortunately did not keep them. :(

Cozy in Texas said...

I hated the books that we read for our book club. It seemed that one person always dominated what we were going to read and it was always depressing. I mostly read cozy mysteries.
Ann

Katie DeKoster said...

How in the world do you know what you were reading 10 years ago? Have you been keeping track for that long?? 10-ish years ago I remember reading Weetzie Bat, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, and just discovering Sarah Dessen.