Tuesday, December 13, 2011

It's Classified



I'm not sure what it is, but I am a sucker for a story featuring a presidential character- real or fictional. It's Classified is Nicolle Wallace's follow up to Eighteen Acres. Eighteen Acres (which took me a while to recall) tells the story of the first female president, Charlotte, and those who work with and for her. Now in It's Classified, Charlotte is in her second term with a new vice president. This is another record-breaker since Tara, the vice-president and the president are not from the same political party. Dale, who works for Tara, also happens to be dating Charlotte's estranged husband. Oh, what a tangled web and one that may not be far from the real goings-on in different administrations.

Early on it is easy to see that something is not right with Tara. Just like Dale, I was left to puzzle this out, trying to determine what exactly is happening with the vice president. Dale is also trying to juggle what her responsibilities are and a long distance relationship with Peter, the ex First Husband. Charlotte's story takes a back seat in this novel, yet she still narrate a portion of this story. Most intriguing (at least to me) is Tara, a woman who appears to have it all together, but who is unhappy, anxious, and controlled by her husband who doesn't appear to have her best interests in mind.

I will admit I'm an easy sell for a book like this, but even so, I found myself wanting to read It's Classified and learn more about this fictional administration.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

I just finished this book last week and loved it! I'm hoping Nicolle Wallace continues with this series.