Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Wonderstruck



I am one of the few people who has not read The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick. Every person I admit this to tells me of their amazement at this very creative way to tell a story. Selznick's new book, Wonderstruck, again weaves pictures and text together to form a fabulous story.

Ben lives in Minnesota in 1977 and shares his story in text. He misses his mother who just passed away, and would love to find the father he never knew.

Rose lives in Hoboken, New Jersey, in 1927, and shares her story in pictures. Eventually her story meshes with Ben's, to provide an amazing resolution.

I wasn't sure I would enjoy this type of story, as I am not always someone who looks carefully at illustrations, However, I was amazed by this book. This has been the latest read aloud at our house and we have spent several nights poring over this book, discussing, and eventually racing toward the end.

Wonderstruck is a book I am planning on purchasing; I loved it!

1 comment:

Peaceful Reader said...

I's so glad to hear you loved it. I've already purchased it and need to read it soon.

I think you need to try Hugo Cabret now-the story is also fascinating and very unique.