Wednesday, November 9, 2011

The Lost Crown



Years ago I read a book about Anastasia, the daughter of the last tsar in Russia. I was totally fascinated by this story, and by the claims a woman made about being the Russian princess, despite the fact that the entire family was killed in 1918.

Details of this story escape me, but the story of Anastasia and her family is one aspect of Russian history that I have continued to find very interesting, and sure to appeal to many young readers. Sarah Miller, who authored Miss Spitfire, another amazing story detailing Annie Sullivan's life prior to her work with Helen Keller, has just had her second novel The Lost Crown published. Because I read Miller's blog, I have been aware of this new book and awaiting it for a while now. The Lost Crown is a fully researched, and for lack of a better word, amazing recounting of the four Romanov sisters: Olga and Tatiana (the older two) and Maria and Anastasia (the younger sisters). Each sister takes turn narrating the chapters, which share details of their wealthy life in Imperial Russia. The sisters are on the cusp of womanood, ready to embrace life, when World War I breaks out in Europe. A revolution follows for Russia, and its citizens who once embraced the tsar and his family no longer feel this way about their ruler. Although the ending was known to me before I even began reading, hearing the voices of these sisters made me sad for them, knowing what would await these girls, and how little they suspected the inevitable end.

There were many things I found interesting and note-worthy in this novel. Miller must have conducted massive amounts of research to craft this novel, and every detail seemed perfect to the time and place. I will happily recommend this books to young adult and adult readers. This is a great work of historical fiction that explores a fascinating family and brings to life their story.

To read more about The Lost Crown, visit Sarah Miller's website.

No comments: