Thursday, September 29, 2011

Gooney Bird: On the Map

Gooney Bird: On the Map is the fifth book in this series by Lois Lowry. I like this unique character- someone along the lines of Junie B. Jones, yet not. Where I at times think Junie B is naughty and I have a problem with her incorrect grammar (something I have heard often from teachers and parents), Gooney is a girl with a mind of her own, and her books - at least the three I have read- feature some good learning and talking points.
Gooney Bird: On the Map is no exception. In this installment, Gooney and her classmates are learning about the different states and spend their time making a map of the U.S. outside in an area of the school playground that has been set aside for them. Three of her classmates continue to discuss their winter vacation plans - something that they learn is called gloating. Gooney continues to be a favorite in our household. Even my fourth grade daughter was excited when I opened this package, bringing back happy memories of previous Gooney books she has read.

No comments: