Friday, August 26, 2011

An Abundance of Ann M. Martin's Work



Never before have my ten year old daughter and I been reading the same author simultaneously. She is tearing through the Babysitter's Club books by Ann M. Martin - the exact same copies my sister and I read in our childhood. (Sadly, they seem to be needing some repair, despite the fact that we were very careful with our books. It seems the glue is just not holding up). And I am reading Martin's latest book, Ten Rules for Living With My Sister. It seems that Martin just cannot disappoint.

Ten Rules for Living With My Sister is a realistic fiction book for tweens, featuring Pearl Littlefield, the little sister. Pearl feels that her older sister, Lexie, seems to have an easier time of everything. She has more friends and more freedom while Pearl struggles. The sibiling rivalry is nothing new in children's literature, but Martin adds in a grandfather, Daddy Bo, who must move in with Pearl and her family for a few months until a spot at a nursing home is available for him. Daddy Bo is suffering from Alzheimers, which is carefully and sensitively written about by Martin. When Pearl and Daddy Bo are left alone together, it is Pearl who steps up to the plate and makes some good decisions. Maybe Pearl is ready for a bit more freedom and responsibility after all.

Tween readers will enjoy this story and will appreciate the struggles Pearl endures as she tries to grow up.

Ten Rules for Living With My Sister was sent to me through the Amazon Vine program. It will be released on September 27, 2011.

No comments: