Thursday, July 7, 2011

Throwback Thursday



This week's Throwback Thursday selection has a television connection again. In case you can't see a pattern, I apparently watched quite a bit of television as a child- especially sitcoms. I loved the show Eight is Enough while growing up. I am still waiting for it to come out on DVD, but until then I have amused myself by re-reading Tom Braden's account of his life fathering eight children. The show is based on Braden's family, so there are some differences - a major one being the fact that in real life Braden's wife Joan was alive and well, while in the show Mr. Bradford was remarried to Abby after his wife died of an illness. Braden writes of different anecdotes that occurred with his children, and even though I have the actors' images in my minds while he recounts stories of his children (who did have the same names as the children on the television show), I so enjoyed hearing about what life in a large family was like. Nowadays the Bradens would be outstaged by the Gosselins and Duggars, but back when I was growing up Eight is Enough provided a unique look at life in a large family.

Has anyone else read this book? I managed to pick up my library's copy when they weeded it and after seeing how much this book is going for on Amazon, am happy I got it so cheaply.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Oh, I would have totally bought that book if it was at my library's book sale! I LOVED Eight is Enough. LOVED. IT. To the point that every Christmas I still think of Nicholas discovering that the family's presents were stolen.