Sunday, July 17, 2011

Sunday Salon



The summer is flying by. I can say that because I am now counting down - with mixed feelings- to our first day of school. I go back on August 3. Right around the corner. I don't feel like I've accomplished much this summer, but I didn't have high hopes of that, either. With three children who like to be on the go, I have done a great job taking them to piano lessons, the pool, and a variety of fun and entertaining day trips. We also managed a "real" vacation this summer.


On Friday we took one of our day trips. My mom went with us which is always nice. Despite the extreme heat- we are in the middle of a heatwave- we managed to visit Living History Farms in Des Moines. (The picture is of the Flynn House - an original home built on the Living History site). I had never been there before and had no idea what to expect. I thought there would be farm animals, but there weren't really animals. Instead there was a replication of a town circa 1875. It was amazing. The poor volunteers dressed in their period costumes were sweating buckets- especially the blacksmith who showed us how he heats up metal and then can bend it. The homes were wonderful to tour as were the other town buildings. We ended up not doing the mile long crop walk, forseeing a lot of whining that would be involved. When we went to lunch the air conditioning felt so good. A quick trip to a quilt shop followed since my mom is helping me and making our former daycare provider a quilt. And we finished up the day with a visit to Trader Joe's. I had never been there before, and had been itching to go since it opened in November. I'm not sure what I was anticipating, but I will admit feeling a bit let down. There are some unique items there, but it isn't as awesome as I thought. Each girl picked out something they wanted to try. My mom bought oat bran for a muffin recipe she wanted to bake, and I bought some different Clif bars for myself.

This weekend we have been avoiding the heat. I have been very vocal about stating my love for this hot and humid weather. And I do love it, but wow! It is hot and humid!

Tonight I am hoping to work on a few books I have begun. We made a trip to Dairy Queen and then bought a pizza at Dominoes on our way home. My oldest daughter read the first three book in the Babysitters Club series this weekend.

How about your weekend? Is there anything exciting on your agenda?

3 comments:

Inside A Book said...

Oh I am dreading returning back to school/work. We go back August 3rd too. Can you believe how fast this summer has gone? I feel like I just blinked my eyes and it is almost gone. I am still doing professional development classes and grant work but I will take one day to have a pedicure and read!!

Stay cool and enjoy the days.

PS - I loved reading about your journey with all of your girls and your mom!

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

It seems so early to be back to school. Here it always starts after Labor Day.

Lisa said...

9 years ago when I still lived in Alabama I worked (and lived!) at a living history museum. Ours had 8 or 9 buildings in two different time periods (1850s and 1900). It was a lot of fun.
www.burrittonthemoutain.com