Thursday, July 28, 2011

The Man in the Rockefeller Suit



A few years ago I remember hearing about a very interesting case on the news. A man claiming to be Clark Rockefeller had kidnapped his daughter, upset after losing custody of her to his ex-wife. While looking for the young girl, the fact that Rockefeller was not who he claimed added a great deal of intrigue to this story. In fact, not only was Clark Rockefeller not a Rockefeller, it was uncertain who this man really was.

After reading The Man in the Rockefeller Suit by Mark Seal I feel as though I understand the ins and outs of this case I remember hearing on the news so much better. I also am amazed by the many lies Rockefeller was able to easily pass off as truth. Not only did he live as Clark Rockefeller he also had two other identities he had one point used. He was originally born in Germany, and came to the United States at the age of seventeen. Despite having graduated in Germany, he also attended his senior year in the U.S. He passed himself off as a film producer, an art collector, a financial expert who worked on Wall Street. Eventually he married a brilliant business woman with an MBA from Harvard, totally fooling her for the fifteen years they were together.

This book is a fascinating look at a serial imposter, and provides in-depth information on a case I was very interested in learning more about. The Man in the Rockefeller Suit is a great non-fiction read.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

I have been seeing this book but didn't know if I would like it ... but after reading your review, I can't wait to read it!