Thursday, April 28, 2011

Throwback Thursday

Tonight, as the night before the Royal Wedding of Kate Middleton and Prince William Arthur Phillip Louis approaches, excitement is starting to mount at my house. I admit I am the reason for the excitement. As a child I began collecting things about Britain's royal family. Even before I began collecting things and became a true royal watcher, I woke up early to view the wedding coverage of Prince Charles marriage to Lady Diana Frances Spencer. Now, thirty years later, their son Prince William will be marrying with millions of viewers watching around the world. As I grew up my collecting became something that ebbed and flowed. At times I did a lot of acquiring, and other times - especially during my high school years- the royal family was only a distant blip on my radar. As an adult, I no longer cut out every news article from the paper or from magazines, and I can not recite trivial information about William or Harry after their toddler years. But, I am still quite interested in this wedding. Unfortunately I have to work tomorrow, because I would like nothing more to sit on my couch and take this all in. Instead, I will prepare myself for the onslaught of publications sure to come chronicling every last detail of this event.









And, as I await the approach of the nuptials, I am also looking over the books I collected and pored over many, many times as a child. I saved every spare penny to buy these books that even in the early 1980s cost $15-$20. Above are just a few of my favorites. Most are packed away now, but every once in a while - like on this special occasion- I still like to look through them and remember how much I enjoyed reading about the royal family.

1 comment:

Gerbera Daisy Diaries said...

I think we must be, like, Royal twins!!! I think I have the same books! My husband made me throw out all of the magazines I had collected for years, but I couldn't part with the books. I've got the alarm set for 4am. I don't work tomorrow - but thank goodness for DVR, that way my daughter and I can watch it all over again after she gets home from school.