Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Where She Went



By now I feel as though any review I could add about Where She Went by Gayle Forman will be redundant. Forman's companion novel/sequel to If I Stay came out earlier this month, and I was one of the lucky few who had a review copy mailed to me from the publisher.


If I Stay was one of my favorites of the year when it was published. Mia is in a tragic car accident that kills her parents and younger brother. From her hospital bed, still unconscious, we learn of Mia's life story as she grapples with the decision to choose to live, or join her family who has died. I don't think I am spoiling anything by saying that Mia chose to live- could there be a second novel without her?


In Where She Went, Forman switches voices, and has Adam, Mia's ex-boyfriend narrate the story. Three years have passed since the accident and Adam and Mia are no longer a couple. He is a famous rock star, while Mia has pursued her own musical career and become very successful. While at first the reason for their break-up is unknown as the story unfolds more information is shared. And then Mia and Adam meet up again.


I loved this one almost as much as If I Stay. It is a great follow up novel, and while I didn't love it quite as much as the first, I'm not sure anything could have lived up to my expectations. Although I knew that Forman was writing another novel about these characters, I was surprised at book's beginning that it was written in Adam's voice, yet I easily adapted and bought into this.


Each chapter begins with lyrics from one of Adam's songs. Normally I am the reader who skims right over these things. However, I did actually take the time and read them for this book - and was pleasantly surprised by how good they were and how much I enjoyed them.


From the brief note sent by the publisher, it appears Forman has moved on to other projects and other characters. While Where She Went offers a neat resolution, I would still like to check in on Adam and Mia at some future time.

No comments: