Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The Pioneer Woman


Ree Drummond, the Pioneer Woman, is a woman of many talents. Her website showcases her recipes, ability to homeschool her children, and her photography. Now Drummond has written and published her first memoir about her romance with and marriage to Marlboro Man. While I do not read Drummond's blog on a daily basis, I already knew the general outline of their love story: Ree, on a brief interlude home before moving to Chicago, meets Marlboro Man on a night out. Although she is attracted to him, she only plans to be home for a short time anyway. A few months pass before Marlboro Man calls her, and the two have their first date. And their second. And their third. Marlboro Man and Pioneer Woman (although at this point she was more of a City Slicker) have a whirlwind courtship, with Marlboro Man playing the part of Prince Charming ever so well.

I have heard that much of what is included in The Pioneer Woman: Black Heels to Tractor Wheels is already on Drummond's blog, yet I loved reading this book and fell a little bit in love with Marlboro Man myself. I also laughed out loud at Ree's many embarassments early in their relationship - how she managed to get lost on her way home from a date at Marlboro Man's house, how she put her car in the ditch while driving her future mother-in-law during their first meeting - I could totally see these things happening to me. And did I mention that I fell in love with Marlboro Man? Between his gentlemanly ways and his cowboy appearance, Ree found herself the man of many-a-woman's dreams.

This is a book I devoured, started one evening and read the next morning. I read on my way to lunch, and read in any spare moment yeterday. Finishing this book was rather disappointing, only because I wanted to read more of this romance and of their life. With any luck Drummond will decide to continue her memoir in another installment. I will be the first in line if that's the case.

1 comment:

Gerbera Daisy Diaries said...

She is coming to our literary festival in April -- I don't care how long I have to stand in line...I'm getting a picture and a book signed!