Monday, December 27, 2010

Dangerous Neighbors

Dangerous Neighbors is my very first Beth Kephart book. I have read so many different posts about Kephart's work and the beauty of her writing. As I was reading, I, too, took note of the way in which Kephart's words paint pictures in the mind. Her writing is beautiful. Dangerous Neighbors takes place in Philadelphia in 1876, during the Centennial fair celebrating a nation with a future to look forward to. Katherine and Anna were twin sisters - bound together by their twinness. When Anne unexpectedly dies, Katherine doesn't find much to look forward to nad plots about finding a way to end her own life.
This was a fast read - begun last night before bed, and completed this morning. One downfall to being a quick reader is the lack of time spent really letting the writing soak in. I am supremely guilty of this. However, despite the speed in which I devoured this book and the fact that perhaps I would have loved the writing even more if I took my time, I still recognize Kephart's work as superb.

1 comment:

Golden Eagle said...

Thanks for the review! I've never heard of the book/author, so I'll have to check it out.

I run into the problem of reading too fast and not noticing the quality/style of the author's writing as well.