Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Thanksgiving Favorites

Every year I enjoy reading some holiday stories to the different classes I see as Thanksgiving approaches. I try to switch things up a bit, not always reading the same books all day long. I also try to vary a bit from year to year. This means I need to continue to expand my collection of Thanksgiving books.

My favorite, Turk and Runt by Lisa Wheeler, is one that every student here has probably heard because I have read and re-read that story to so many classes for several years. While it has been difficult not to pull that one out again, another new story has emerged for me to share and enjoy.



Turkey Trouble by Wendi Silvano was a purchase I made for my own personal collection last year. I have saved it all these months and can finally read it to classes.

This one is being loved by kids in kindergarten through third grade. Turkey knows he is in trouble - the time of year is fast approaching when he may become someone's meal. So, he decides to disguise himself as various farm animals - certain that the farmer and his wife won't be eating them for the holidays. His final solution is a good one, and my kids enjoyed making some predictions and participating in the story telling as well.

The oldie but goodie I have been resorting to - and still enjoying- is A Turkey For Thanksgiving by Eve Bunting. Mrs. Moose really wants to have a turkey for Thanksgiving, so Mr. Moose sets off to try and find one. He wanders around the forest looking for a turkey, collecting other friends as he goes. When he finally locates a turkey, Turkey is less than pleased to be caught. He envisions a grim future for himself -as the Thanksgiving meal. This is not at all what Mrs. Moose has in mind as she happily sets a spot for their guest.


The third story I have used quite a bit- in years past and this year- is Thanksgiving at the Tappletons by Eileen Spinelli. I love this story of a family who ends up with little to eat for their big meal because of a series of strange mishaps. Usually after this one, the students are able to share what they are planning on eating and we play a memory game as each student adds on their own food choice while still repeating all the ones said prior to them. This is a challenge, but they enjoy getting involved and sharing their own holiday food traditions.
Tomorrow is our last day of school before the two day Thanksgiving break. I will be hosting my parents and my in-laws this year. There is a lot of grocery shopping and cooking to be done yet, along with a great deal of cleaning. I'm not sure how much leisure reading time is in my near future, but I will be looking for a free minute here and there.

2 comments:

Gerbera Daisy Diaries said...

We always read as a family An Old Fashioned Thanksgiving by Louisa May Alcott. In fact, I have it ready to read aloud to the kids in the car tomorrow!

Peaceful Reader said...

I love Eve Bunting's book and enjoy hearing kids as they come to understand the inference. Turkey Trouble is new to me and I will have to find it for next year's readalouds.