Friday, November 19, 2010

A Perfect Fit


Picking a book to read can be such a hard choice. Not because I don't know what to read, but because there are so many things to read. And while I am constantly trying to read books that I need to take back to the library, somewhat guiding and limiting what I choose, part of what I pick depends on my mood. Up next on my stack are Jen Gish's new book, World and Town, and a book by Mary Helen Stefaniak titled The Cailiffs of Baghdad, Georgia. Gish's book I have seen around and read review of. Stefaniak's. not so much. But, Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea alerted me to this one, and often our tastes are similar.

I started World and Town last night, but just didn't get into it. I need a fresh start, so decided to put it down for a bit. Instead, I have picked up The Cailiffs of Baghdad, Georgia.

From the first sentence, I was engaged:
"Miss Grace Spivey arrived in Threestep, Georgia, in August of 1938. She stepped off the train wearing a pair of thick-soled boots suitable for hiking, a navy blue dress, and a little white tam that rode the waves of her red hair at a gravity-defying angle (1)."

With a cast of interesting characters, I am utterly in love. Names like Ildred, Ebenezer, Mavis Davis, and my favorite Force (short for Forceps, the method used to deliver him), I am hoping for some serious leisure reading time to get into this one even more.

Not a well known author or title, but worth looking into.

1 comment:

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

SOunds like one I'd love. I have it but must wait until 2011 now --thanks for the review Tina