Thursday, October 21, 2010

Crow


I love the Picnic Basket and being able to review books that I receive from them. Last week Crow by Leo Timmers arrived in my mail box - a cute picture book about a crow that scares all the other birds because of his appearance. Trying to fit in, Crow turns himself into a finch. When that doesn't work he turns himself into a parakeet. And then a chickadee. Of course, Crow does best when he is himself, a fact he eventually realizes.

This is a nice little story about liking yourself for who you are. I loved the illustrations set on a white background, making them a bit more dramatic. Teachers and parents will enjoy the lesson this book teaches, and young readers will understand the lesson while enjoying the story.

Crow reminds me a lot of Sylvie by Jennifer Gordon Sattler, another book about loving yourself for who you are.


No comments: