Thursday, May 27, 2010

Life Would Be Perfect If I Lived In That House


Meghan Daum's memoir, Life Would Be Perfect If I Lived In That House is a foll0w-up to her debut novel, The Quality of Life Report, and the story of Daum's own quest to find a home she loves. Each phase in her life has led her to find a different type of living arrangement - from her twenties in New York City, to her thirties in Nebraska, followed by Los Angeles, Daum has managed to live in a variety of settings and homes. In fact, it seems that as soon as she is settled in one place, Daum is packing again and looking for a better, more impressive place to set down roots.

Daum's childhood began in Austin Texas, with a move to Palo Alto California, and finally New Jersey, a locale her parents were ill suited for, yet boasted to friends and relatives how close they were to New York City. Perhaps these relocations set the tone for Daum's own interest in moving, because as an adult Daum moves with impressive frequency and regularity. Along with all the moving, Daum also manages to find and break up with boyfriends, develop her free-lance writing career, and experience the cities and towns she is a part of. I appreciated her foray into rural living. While I would consider Daum a true city girl, she has felt the call of country living and can find many pleasing and positive aspects to this type of existence, something I find comfortable and preferable to almost anything else.

Before I started this book, I wasn't sure if I was going to like it. While I enjoy looking at homes, and could relate to Daum's interest in real estate, it is not a passion for me like it is for her. However, even someone not interested in homes or house hunting would find this memoir enjoyable. I enjoyed the humor in Daum's writing, and because I am just a few years younger, could relate to many of the phases of Daum's life.

No comments: