Friday, April 16, 2010

Another Bedtime Picture Book Extravanganza

I am still enjoying all the new picture books that I received this past week. Last night I was able to read a few more picture books to the girls that were new, along with a few others that we enjoy already.
My Garden by Kevin Henkes is a cute addition to Henkes' collection of children's books. I love, love, love his mouse books, and nothing can really measure up to Lily.....but.....My Garden is awfully cute. The illustrations are much like his A Good Day illustrations with the bright pastels. Also just right for preschool age children - an important feature in my house.






Spoon by Amy Krouse Rosenthal is a cute book discussing the importance of individuality. I loved spoon's lament that things weren't fair - that the fork, knife, and chopsticks had things better than she did. And then the other utensils' viewpoints that spoon had things good. This one is one of my new favorites.






A Small Brown Dog with a Wet Pink Nose by Stephanie Stuve-Bodeen and Linzie Hunter is another very cute picture book about a girl who wants a pet dog, but has to settle for having an imaginary one. When her imaginary dog becomes lost Amelia begins to search for him and ends up at the local animal shelter. The illustrations are busy, yet not confusing or too much like some books, giving kids a lot to look at and enjoy. Knowing how much my own girls want a dog, this title is a bit risky for me to read as it gives some creative ideas for actually acquiring a pet.

No comments: