Saturday, January 9, 2010

Saturday-Making up for lost time


I did such a good job toward the end of 2009 blogging every day, and yet barely a week into the new year and I have missed two consecutive days. Thursday we had a snow day and for whatever reason I just didn't find time to blog. Then, in the middle of Thursday night/Friday morning I started to feel sick and ended up with the stomach flu. I spent yesterday on the couch. I slept and laid around but really didn't feel like reading. I also have too many books going at once. So, while I am reading, I am just not finishing much. At some point I should have a bunch of reviews ready.
Last night I felt a bit better, so I did read for a while. However Tall the Mountains by Awista Ayub was a quick read and so interesting to me. Within the last few years there have been many books set in Afghanistan, speaking to the plight of women there. Women who once had freedom were forced by the Taliban to obey many strict rules. Sports were forbidden to them. Awista Ayub was born in Afghanistan, but fled with her family to the United States when she was a young child. An Afghan at heart, when she witnessed what was happening in her homeland, she sought a way to make a difference. Through much planning and organizing, Ayub welcomes eight girls to the United States to play soccer for six weeks. Within this book are these girls' stories, heartwarming and heartbreaking. It is also an example of the difference an individual can make with determination and desire.
Ayub says she thinks about these eight girls each day, each having left an imprint on her heart. The stories end in 2006, and now almost four years later, I am anxious to know what has become of these young women: Laila, Freshta, Samira, Miriam, Deena, Nadia, Ariana, and Robina. I hope for good things in their lives despite the reality of their situation.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds like a great book.