Thursday, September 24, 2009

Twenties Girl


I have loved Sophie Kinsella since I read the first Shopaholic book several years ago. Kinsella writes some wonderful chick lit fiction that I appreciate for the enjoyment it brings. Twenties Girl is another such installment of chick lit.


The story begins with Lara's 105 year old great aunt Sadie's funeral. Lara is dealing with her break-up with her boyfriend and a fledgling career as a headhunter. To make things worse, she begins hearing the voice of a ghost-that of her dead great aunt. Sadie the ghost is young, dressed in her 20's, flapper-era clothing, requesting- demanding- that Lara find the necklace that meant so much to her while she was alive. A little bit of suspense, a little bit of mystery, and of course some misunderstanding along the way, all make up this fun ghost story.


This book grew on me as I read. I'm not much into ghost stories or this sort of a fantastical tale, but this book worked for me. I'm still not sure that Kinsella needed her story to be 435 pages long; I think the story could have been told more quickly. I am also amazed/skeptical of Kinsella's ability to actually write as quickly as she does (especially since she also writes under her real name, Madeline Wickham). Perhaps she is able to do so because her stories are just fun, not beautiful writing.


If you enjoy chick lit and want to be entertained, this book is one you will enjoy.

1 comment:

Jillian said...

Loved this one! I'm a huge fan of Kinsella as well : )

If you like Sophie Kinsella, I think you would really love a book I wrote called 'Knickles and Dimes'. It's a really fun chicklit, with hilarious characters and a great story with a twist. Check it out!

http://www.eloquentbooks.com/KnicklesAndDimes.html

Thanks for the review!

Jillian