Monday, June 1, 2009

Secrets to Happiness


Sarah Dunn's Secrets to Happiness was such an enjoyable read. I read Big Love by Dunn a few years ago and was mildly entertained, so I must say I was happily surprised by Dunn's latest book.

This novel centers around Holly, a woman in her late 30s as she tries to find happiness after the breakup of her marriage. Holly begins a relationship with Lucas, the twenty two year old brother of a friend, even though she refuses to believe the relationship is serious. Amanda, a friend of Holly's (married to Mark and mother to Jacob, still an infant) begins an affair with Jack. Eventually the two break it off and Holly, with Amanda's blessing, begins her own relationship with Jack. Supporting characters: Beth (Lucas' older sister) andLeonard (Holly's gay writing partner) are also searching for happiness.

This book was a step up from chick lit and so very hard for me to put down. I enjoyed the resolution to each character's story, except one. For that one person, I am hoping Dunn continues writing so I can see if she has unlocked the secret to happiness.

No comments: