Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The Funeral Director's Son


When I heard the title of this book, I knew it was one I would need to read. For ten years my husband and I lived in a house attached to the funeral home where he was a funeral director. It was an interesting ten years, to say the least. Coleen Murtagh Paratore's middle grade book tells the story of Kip, a boy born into a long line of funeral directors who does not want to go into the family business. Much of what Kip reveals about life in a funeral home are things that I know about and make me smile in reminisence....while being thankful for my current surroundings all that much more. In addition to the funeral home setting, Kip, while not wanting to take part in the family business does have an important job. He helps the newly deceased find peace. Kip hears the wishes of those who have just passed away and helps relay messages to loved ones who were not told goodbye. When Billy Blye dies Kip must find out the secret holding Blye back from his eternal rest.
I liked the setting the most in this book because it was so familiar. I felt like the plot could have been more well developed because there were things I was still questioning later on in the book. I am not sure middle grade readers could make some of the connections Paratore is having her readers make. Kip is entertaining and even though I am not in love with the plot I still found the book enjoyable.

No comments: