Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Lincoln and His Boys


Ever since I was in first grade (many years ago) I have loved Abraham Lincoln. I am not sure where I first heard about him, but once I did I started reading books on him and was even so carried away that I wrote plays about him that I acted out with my classmates. (I am hoping that no adult remembers this). Of course I still carry a little bit of extra interest in Abe even as an adult. Since this is the bicentennial of his birth there are so many wonderful things being published about him that I can't wait to get my hands on!

The girls and I started Lincoln and His Boys by Rosemary Wells a few nights ago. Last night we couldn't find it when we were supposed to be reading before bed and my oldest daughter was quite upset, "I am crazy for that book!" is how she put it.

Wells has done research on Lincoln and his unconventional relationship with his children. He enjoyed spending time with his kids, despite the fact that that was not typical for fathers at that time. The book is told by two narrators, Tad and Willie and spans several years. When Tad narrates he must tell of his brother, Willie's death. The book ends just as the Civil War ends. I wish it would go a bit further, but realize if it did, I would have to hear Tad's heartbreak at losing his father. Imagning it is bad enough as it is easy to see how involved the sons are with their dad.

This book is a great addition to the wealth of Lincoln books coming out this year and my girls will be anxious to finish it tonight.

No comments: