Wednesday, January 7, 2009

How Not To Be Popular


This morning I finished How Not To Be Popular by Jennifer Ziegler. I had some mixed feelings while reading this book. I liked it, but felt like I was back in high school, which I guess is the audience it is intended for. Since it is more of a "fluff" read I can't say it was something I just couldn't put down. However, as I read I did get more and more into the story and even wanted to reach the end to know the outcome
Maggie is the daughter of two hippies, Rose and Les, and has been in ten different high schools. Finally after having to leave her boyfriend and best friend in Portland, Maggie is determined not to like Austin, TX, or make friends there. She dresses strangely, hangs out with an outcast, and does everything in her power to try and not fit in. None of it works. Despite her best efforts not to like Austin, Maggie does make friends and finds herself enjoying things there. Without giving everything away, I will say that the ending is rather happy, and one that teenage girls will agree with.
While How Not To Be Popular is not the best book I have read, I did find enjoyable. I know as a teenager this book would have been a great easy read for me.

No comments: