Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Waiting for An Ordinary Day: The Unveiling of Life in Iraq

Farnaz Fassihi's book Waiting for an Ordinary Day: The Unveiling of Life in Iraq was such a well written book.I am seem to be on a stretch of reading books that aren't very happy in terms of subject matter. But, Fassihi, a reporter living in Baghdad gives an honest look at how the every day life of Iraqis has changed since the war began. She moved to Baghdad and made friends with people who she has watched go through devastating life circumstances. These people are ones I felt I could connect with. While I cannot possibly imagine the sorrow they have experiences, Fassihi is able to make these people real and make me care about them. From time to time as she recounted different events that occurred to her friends I wanted to reach out and help them myself. While not a happy book, it is an important one.

No comments: