Thursday, September 15, 2022

Children's Lit Thursday: Farmhouse

I've been waiting for this book since early 2022 when Colby Sharp posted something about it.  I've heard Caldecott buzz about Farmhouse ever since.  



 

I rarely pick up a picture book to sit and enjoy by myself.  But I specifically made time for this one, and could tell by just looking at the front cover that it was going to be worth my time.  (Can you see the detail inside the house by looking at the windows?).  

I loved the story of a house that had a family of twelve children raised in it; the cadence of the writing felt a little like "this is the house that Jack built," as I read to myself.  The children grow up and leave the home, which eventually is overtaken by animals as it is left in disrepair.  




Eventually the narrator comes upon the house, taking some things from it and recreates a version of it on paper.  

I loved this book so much. It would be a delightful gift book for a small child or baby. I'm so hoping that when January 2023 rolls around and the Caldecott is announced, Farmhouse has a shiny gold medal adorning its cover.

No comments: