Sunday, December 5, 2021

Blast From the Past: December 2011

 It's time once again to look back at what I was reading back in December of 2011.  There are some real winners in this group:



Inside Out and Back Again by Thanhha Lai- I loved this novel in verse so much, and judging by the medals on it, so did a lot of other people.  This one is a great middle grade novel- somewhat autobiographical -about a young girl and her family that escaped from Vietnam and relocated to the South.  This is heartbreaking.  

Classified by Nicolle Wallace - I love pretty much any book about Washington, DC and life in the White House.  This is the second in a series I enjoyed every page of.  

Bunheads by Sophie Flack - this is a fascinating look at what life as a professional ballerina might be like  - although fiction, Flack was a professional ballerina herself, so there is some truth to it as well. I believe that Netflix had a show based on this book.  

Maisie Dobbs by Jacqueline Winspear- this is the first book in an historical fiction mystery series that now numbers seventeen. I really enjoyed Maisie as well as the British setting. I can't believe I never picked up any more after this one.  Maybe seeing this one again will nudge me in that direction.

Crow by Barbara Wright - set in Wilmington, North Carolina, in 1898, this novel recounts an historic event- the only successful coup d'etat in our country's history. I loved this novel when I first read it and have since visited friends in Wilmington and encouraged them to read it as well to learn more about their city's past.  

What were you reading a decade ago? What about last December?


No comments: