Sunday, September 12, 2021

Monday Mini-Reviews: Three Books That Are Worth It

It's been a few weeks since I shared some mini-reviews and honestly, reading has been so slow that I don't have a huge pile to share.  What I'm reading is still good, but I am finding it hard to focus with cross country, school, and this week Homecoming events taking up any free time I might have.

Here are three books that I did enjoy:



 

God Spare the Girls by Kelsey McKinney - Abigail and Caroline have always grown up in the church where their father, Luke, is a well known and well loved pastor.  However, when they find out that their father has been having an affair, their perception of their father changes.  The two retreat to the ranch they inherited from their grandmother and do some sisterly bonding and reflecting on their own childhoods and life choices.  The premise for this story isn't entirely new, but I thoroughly enjoyed this book and as someone who also grew up in a tight knit church community, understood the girls' reaction to events as they unfolded.





The Godmothers by Camille Aubray - this story spans decades as four young women's lives come together as members of the same prominent family (some by birth, some by marriage).  They encounter ups and downs in their lives, all circling in the same orbit.  When the matriarch of the family is killed, it's the women who pull together and keep the family business moving forward, eventually developing a friendship with each other.  This one is enjoyable, and I loved the different references to events in history that helped mark the time periods this book went through.  


She Wouldn't Change A Thing by Sarah Adlakha - I loved the sound of this book when I read the synopsis on Net Galley.  And it started out really strong, but somewhere in the middle while I was bogged down with work, I lost interest.  The ending does a great job of pulling things together, and it is for that reason that I really feel like I need to go back and focus on that middle section.  Maria is a psychiatrist who is warned by a patient about something that is going to happen in the future. Then one morning Marie wakes up back in her bedroom and is a teenager again. She realizes she could change an event in her husband's life that devastated him, but by doing this, would also change her future.  There is a dual storyline as well and for a while I wasn't sure how this would all be pulled together. But Adlakha answers all the questions and gave me a lot to think about.  I'd love to talk this one over with someone who has read it because there are plenty of things to discuss.


I keep hoping that my reading will take off-  and then I find more projects at work that I need to focus on.  So, eventually I might be able to fit in some more reading time, but right now, I am just going to enjoy going to being busy.


1 comment:

Mystica said...

The three books are all interesting ones in different ways. Thanks for the updates.