Wednesday, November 14, 2018

TLC Book Tour: Marilla of Green Gables

Sarah McCoy probably didn't have me in mind when she wrote Marilla of Green Gables. I imagine her writing this book, thinking of all the Anne of Green Gables readers out there that would want to know Marilla's story prior to Anne coming into her life.  

Last year I read Caroline by Sarah Miller, a fictionalized version of Caroline Ingalls' story during the Little House on the Prairie years. I had read and re-read those books so many times, I thought I knew pretty much everything about Ma Ingalls.  And yet, when I read that book, I had a whole new picture of Ma and what her life was like.  






That certainly wasn't the case for me while reading Marilla.  I confess that I haven't read all of the Anne of Green Gables books. I wasn't introduced to them until I was an adult, and although I read the first one, as an adult reader, I don't have the connection to them that a child might have, or feel about them the way I do about Laura Ingalls Wilder.

You might think that my introduction is just a gentle way of easing into a less than enraptured review of Marilla. And you would be wrong.  Although I don't have the background with Anne, or the childhood memories, I love Marilla of Green Gables.  I'm not the target audience, but this book is one I was happy to pick up and dive into.

I love the rural Prince Edward Island setting, the time period the story take place in that allows Marilla to witness certain big events in history like the end of slavery, her love for her home, and really felt like I could connect and identify with her.

I so wanted to Marilla to find love - all the while knowing from my experience with Anne of Green Gables- that she does not.  Although fans of AoG will be able to appreciate this in an entirely different way than I do, I really loved every single page of this book.  

Now more than ever, I find myself wanting to pick up the Anne series and read through them all. I can't wait to see Marilla again - and catch up with her.




Thanks to TLC Books for providing a copy of this book for my review.  All opinions expressed are, as always, my own.

2 comments:

Kay said...

I haven't read the Anne books either. Not sure why I didn't, but like you, I did read all the 'Little House' books. Your review of this one (and a few others' opinions) has me considering picking this one up. We'll see what next year holds. This would fit for my Canadian book challenge.

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

What a wonderful new perspective into a place and a story I love so much.
Thanks for being on the tour!