Tuesday, March 13, 2018

TLC Book Tour: In Praise of Difficult Women

In March I typically purchase and display many books in the library about women who have been important throughout history.  Most of the time the teachers and students are not aware that March is Women's History Month.  (February is Black History Month, April is Poetry....).  This year I'm pretty sure that everyone is aware that March is all about women.  The celebration on March 8 of International Women's Day was just the beginning of a month focused on females.

In Praise of Difficult Women has been published just in time to get in on all of this praise of females.  





Karen Karbo's book looks at twenty-nine women who have made an impact on this world.  Each chapter features a different woman, and Karbo's list is well-rounded (Josephine Baker, Billie Jean King, Diana Vreeland, Laverne Cox, Janis Joplin, Martha Gellhorn to name a few), and some I knew more about than others.  All the women featured are from modern history and each chapter provides an interesting look at their lives, focusing on the way each of them lived their lives a little (or a lot) outside of what was expected of a traditional woman.

I skipped around while reading, picking people randomly, intrigued by names I had never heard before, and I learned a lot about so many interesting women.  This book is perfect for the person who wants to read just a chapter before bed each night, a great gift book, and definitely published at the perfect time as we are hearing women around the globe claim their place in society.



Thanks to TLC Book Tours for providing a copy of this book for my review.  All opinions expressed are, as always, my own.


In Praise of Difficult Women is published by National Geographic.  Visit their website for more information.

2 comments:

DoingDewey said...

I really enjoyed this too! And I'm glad to hear you're featuring other books about women this month as well :)

Heather J @ TLC Book Tours said...

I was pleased to see one of my favorite women, Frida Kahlo, included in this collection!
Thanks for being a part of the tour.